It’s time to execute the first steps, you can find all steps in the overview how it all going to work article.
Installing ESPHome in Home Assistant is really easy. Go to Supervise, Add-on Store and search for ESPHome.
After installation starts the Add-On, make sure you select that ESPHome is visible in the side menu.
Create first Node
- Click on ESPHome in the sidemenu of Home Assistant, ESPHome will load.
- Click the green + icon in the button right corner to add a new node.
- Complete the new node wizard steps
- Node Name: provide the name of your node. Note: only lowercase and no spaces
- Device Type: Select the board you are using. I’m using the ESP8266, NodeMCU board.
- WiFI & Updates:
- Provide your WiFi network details
- OTA password: password use to integrate with Home Assistant and to flash the firmware in the future using WiFi.
- Finish: Click Submit. Congratulations, you created your first node.
More detailed steps can be found on the ESPHome site. They have a very detailed getting started guide.
Now we need to compile this node and flash the ESP with the firmware.