We now have all ingredients for our solution, covered in the in the previous articles in this series. Before we start building, let’s take a look at how this all will work together end-to-end.
- Home Assistant, as home automation platform and for user interactions and automation
- ESP chip low cost connected controller hardware, providing GPIO pins to control the relay and WiFi connectivity
- ESPHome software that run’s on the ESP, providing the ability to configure actions with the relay and communication with Home Assistant.
- Relay board with multiple relays that can control switches providing high or low power as input
In six simple steps we’ll make the fireplace smart.
- Install ESPHome in Home Assistant and create ESPHome node
- Flash ESP chip with vanilla ESPHome firmware
- Wire the relay to the ESP
- Configure ESPHome to control the relays
- Wire relays to fireplace
- Light fireplace!
That’s it, let’s go and start building this out! The next article will cover installing ESPHome in Home Assistant and reating your first ESPhome node.